Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Authentication Panic

In order to teach in the UAE, I have to have copies of my Bachelor's and Teaching Certifications authenticated. This means jumping through a lot of hoops and spending a lot of money when they could just make the copies of the original there. Got through the original step just fine, Rutgers was extremely helpful. I got through the State of NJ just fine..that's when the trouble began. My paperwork is STALLED at the US State Department. They haven't even deposited the check yet and it was sent at the end of May!!! I have to get it back from there before it can get sent to the UAE Embassy for the final step.

Of course it would have helped if I had IGNORED Teach Away's half baked  instructions. I just tripped over the State Department website the other day looking for the phone number and the process would be over if I had found that sooner. Apparently I should have sent it Fed Ex because sending it USPS results in it having to be irradiated before they will open it. Does this mean that my paperwork will be radioactive? Should I wear a HazMat suit when I open it and carry it to the UAE in a lead lined box?

This is very reminiscent of the fact that the payoff figure for my mortgage wasn't received by the title company until the morning of closing. They had actually sent it twice before but with the wrong closing dates. All worked out in the end but seriously...cut me a break!! Can anything ever go according to plan in my life?

I have already chosen my first excursion in the UAE. It is a full day desert safari including camel rides and 4 wheeling the dunes!! Lauren is on board for the camel but is afraid of dying if she goes 4 wheeling. This is once instance in which she reminds me of her father who was born a 40 year old fuddy duddy!

I have met dozens of people online who are going over in August to teach for ADEC so we've already developed a support system. Ramen, hummus, and dashboard microwaves here we come. I am very much looking forward to my 2 year adventure!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, as least you have sent your documents off. I am waiting on some from a different state to come in, and I just finished my masters at the end of June so I have to wait on that degree. The worst part is is the fact that I have to pay more money to get my diploma from the school, when they had told me that the fee would be taken out of my last loan check......so with a fee not paid and some documents somewhere in a different state and I am trying to track them down, I have not sent mine off yet.....I hope this makes you feel a little better.....lol....can't wait for the adventure!

    ReplyDelete