Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dubai


Saturday morning, my Abu Buddies and I set off for Dubai. We were aided on this trip by a wonderful ‘tour guide”. We started off at Geant Mall on the outskirts of the city, checked out a beach, and moved onto The Palm. For those of you who do not know what this is…google satellite images of The Palm. It is one of 3 manmade islands in Dubai.  We went to The Atlantis Palm, hopefully the location where Lauren and I will start out the New Year!! Yeah Me!! 

Entering the city

The Palm from the mainland

Atlantis-The Palm


Exiting The Palm
We visited Souk al Bajar, “souk by the water” and moved onto The Mall of the Emirates. For those of you who have been to King of Prussia Mall, the third largest in the world, the second largest is MUCH bigger. They do everything bigger here. After shopping in the REAL souks, basically holes in the wall where you can bargain for anything, we took a ride on a dhow. This is the way many citizens of Dubai still travel.  From there we moved onto Dubai Mall and The Burj Khalifah. This is the tallest building in the world. No I did not. The only reason I ever made it to the 87th floor of the WTC is that I DID NOT HAVE A CHOICEW. I was there for a business meeting. I am afraid of heights.  I do have to say that it is impressive. The highlight of the night was the nightly water show held at the plaza between the Burj Khalifah and Dubai Mall. Well, that and the pink Ferrari!! 

Burj Al Arab


Inside Souk Al Bajar

Snowball fights in 105 degree heat! Mall of the Emirates.

Toboggan Run

Tell it like it is....

Burj Khalifa from afar

Dhow rides

From the dhow


Burj Khalifa

Dubai Mall, Souk Al Bajar, and Burj Khalifa "courtyard"

Water Show at Burj Khalifah


Pimp My Ride

My new car.....pink Ferrari!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I got very excited about reading this post...but it has nothing to do with Dubai. I loved that you mentioned the King of Prussia Mall. I live about 10 minutes from there and love it. It was nice to hear about something local while reading about teaching in Abu Dhabi. From everything I have read, it would seem most people come from Florida, Atlanta or Arizona. It was nice to hear from a "local" person.

    Thank you for your blog. I love the sarcasm and the honesty. I am super excited (even after reading so many stories about authentication woes) about the possibility of teaching in Abu Dhabi. I am in the very early stage, still have to do my phone interview, and hope that everything goes well. Good luck and thanks!

    ReplyDelete