Saturday, September 17, 2011

Furniture and Appliances

My living room/ dining room/ bedroom furniture delivery came on Thursday (9/8) while I was at work. Another teacher's husband zoomed over here and got the delivery for me...and the keys from the superintendent. I had left the apartment unlocked last night for the deliveries BUT the delivery people shut the door!!! Unfortunately my bed and wardrobe are on the wrong sides of the room...oh well. My appliances came in pretty much one at a time though ordered from the same location. There are different warehouses based on manufacturer! Talk about a waste of manpower! There is a BIG problem with my cooker. I ordered an electric oven with 3 gas burners and 1 electric burner since the gas has not been turned on here yet. The order was written for the wrong unit so I have a fully gas stove with electric oven. I gave up arguing and went out and bought a 2 burner hot plate. My mattress was ordered from a different store and that was delivered Saturday night pretty much just in time to get ready for bed. All in all, it went well considering many people are sleeping on air mattresses. I will just completely ignore the non-operational hot water heater and the fact that I took cold showers for 3 days! Luckily cold water here is not exactly cold. Desalinated ocean water is delivered daily into underground storage tanks. My skin likes the water but my hair...not so much!
Living Room

Dining Room

My first king size bed!!!

No closets so you have to buy them

Read carefully.....Rubbish Hopper!!

The hallway...yes EVERYTHING is marble.

My kitchen, granite counters, wrong cooker and all....note my baby fridge on the right.


The students started school on Sunday (9/11) and I am teaching 10th grade and 11th grade Arts (low performing and/or not college bound). School is supposed to dismiss at 3:05 but there was an announcement at 2:15 in Arabic and that was it....the buses had arrived so school was over. This was actually the latest dismissal for the week, the earliest being at 1:15!!

After a couple of issues, my internet was finally up and running this morning!! I am feeling much better now! We have had some issues in the building, which is a non-smoking building....lucky I have 2 balconies!! A teacher on a lower floor was constantly finding butts on her balcony from smokers above throwing them. She had placed laundry on her balcony to drive and an item had been burnt by a dropping butt. Gross guys. But since this has been addressed we now have an issue with the fire alarms going off at un-Allah-ly hours. I went to visit a friend 2 floors below and came back to my floor smelling like smoke and I AM THE ONLY SMOKER ON THE 19th floor!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment