Thursday, September 8, 2011

The "Zone", my new schools, and my NEW apartment!!


Sunday was the first day for teachers and it was a “fun” day. We were told that we had to report to “The Zone” (the Abu Dhabi Education Zone office) for our placement letters. From there we were to report to our assigned schools. No time was ever given. Some people left this to mean whenever they felt like it. I was bumming a ride from a teacher with a rental car so I left the hotel at 7:10am. We had to take a number from an automated machine and mine was 143. The office had just opened at 7:15. 20 minutes later they were up to300.I did manage to get out fairly quickly so I hit Starbucks, apparently the only one in this country with no AC. From there, I decided housing was more important so I headed to the ADEC office. My friend Michele was just walking out with the keys to her apartment so I felt confident that I would as well. I will skip the details but, I did not leave with keys.

I got to my school, met my principal and assistant principal and was informed that an abaya is required in that school. As I am ready to scream, I find out I can wear flip flops…… works for me!!! After sitting around and talking to second year teachers, I made my way back to ADEC to try again for housing. I learned the meaning of the word halas and a gesture that would make NJ Italians proud. I walked out of there still homeless.

Monday night I received an email that I was reassigned to a school whose directions included taking the exit for “The Camel Race Track”. I quickly picked up a rental car and did manage to arrive only 15 minutes late Wednesday morning. The principal had not been told about the personnel changes and was understandably upset. In the end, I REALLY like the principal. The way home involved an interesting 106 km tour of Abu Dhabi’s highway system. GPS anyone?
The view from the front of Omamah Bint Al Hadith Secondary School for Girls

This is the end of the street that the school is on...gives new meaning to the word "dead end"!

This is the school. It is ABSOLUTELY beautiful.


The AWESOME news came Wednesday night when I got the keys to my wonderful BRAND NEW 2 bedroom flat. Take the chippie who is afraid of heights and put her on the 19th floor, right? I actually managed to go out on my balcony. I was so proud of myself!!! I had a little issue with getting on the elevator to come down…I couldn’t do it. Someone had to come up and bring me down!! I did much better Thursday night. At this point my bedroom, living room, and dining room furniture have been delivered.   I do not have a mattress, refrigerator, washer/dryer, or range (called a cooker here). I will be evicted from the Yas Hotel at noon on Saturday. I am so glad I bought futons!!

The apartment complex has a rooftop pool and gyms (men’s and women’s) complete with Jacuzzis!!
1905 Danat Tower B

View from Living Room balcony

View from Master Bedroom balcony

Living Room


Master Bath....yes that is a bidet. Google how to use an laugh your assets off!

Master Bath...even has a built in head rest

Master Bedroom

Guest Room

No comments:

Post a Comment