Friday, August 26, 2011

The Grand Mosque


Abu Dhabi is home to the 3rd largest Mosque in the world. We did get up early enough one morning to make it to the 10am tour. Since this is a holy place, I was required to wear an abaya and a sheila. The size of the Mosque was overwhelming. It is almost completely marble, the white marble floors being made of a marble that does not retain heat. The colored marble used in the designs does get hot. I guess it can only compare to visiting St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. The pictures tell more than I can.
Mary and Louisa on the "cool" tiles.


The size can only be appreciated in person


The walls are all marble




Sporting my new look.





Many people have gotten their apartment assignments, but my address will continue to be The Yas Hotel until at least 9/6 as all government offices are closed next week for Eid. Nothing happens that week...at all. I have gotten used to doing some of my laundry in the bathtub and sending some out to the hotel laundry. The hotel laundry is expensive even with our discount BUT I have to admit, they do a better job than I do!!
There were changes to the original school calendar, or there were errors, not sure which. Either way, I have to report to the Regional Office of ADEC along with every other teacher (including the Arabic teachers) on 9/4 to get my actual school assignment. At that point it becomes a free for all of obtaining taxis to get to our schools to introduce ourselves to our principals. I plan to rent a car BUT we keep getting mixed messages, one minute we can rent cars if we have an International Driving Permit and the next we cannot. I hope to have a car rented before the cluster funk begins!! I did spend the whopping $15 to get an International Driving Permit from AAA before I left the states.
Yes! We have Starbucks. Check out the signs. Like everything here, in both English and Arabic.

Mickey Hess, Kermit sporting a sag picture just for you!!!


Other than the trip to the Mosque, things have been a boring cycle of shopping for furniture, finding someplace to eat that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get to by taxi, and relaxing to be sure we are ready for the craziness to come. Oh, and the major broken toe drama at Ikea!! Mary and Louisa had just been informed that they have been assigned to Al Gharbia, a remote area several hours from the city. Leave it to me to break the tension and become the center of attention. We went to Ikea last night and the area in which I got injured is pretty much blocked off now. They must have seen me coming. I have picked out all of my furniture but have not ordered yet as I cannot give a delivery date. We receive a furniture allowance of 20000 dirhams, approximately $5400. So far on the bedroom, living room, and dining room I will have spent less than a third of it and that includes the ginormous wardrobe that is a necessity as apartments do not have closets here. Apartments don't come with appliances so I have to budget for a refrigerator, range, and washer/dryer. Not sure that I need a dishwasher. I was even considering skipping the range and just getting a convection microwave but...what to do with the empty hole in the kitchen??? I am hoping to have money left over when I am done. The largest expense is the bed, life is too short to sleep in a small bed with a crappy mattress!!!

The "first aid lady" at Ikea performing toe surgery!!

Nasty

No comments:

Post a Comment