Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Dunes and Camels and Hookahs...Oh My!!


OK NJ people...forget Sandy Beach, forget The Sand Pits, forget Hidden Lakes even. You have not been four wheeling until you've done it on the dunes. For 129 dirhams ($35 US) we got four wheeling, a trip to a camel farm, camel rides photo op, Iftar dinner, and hookahs. If it wasn't Ramadan, there would have been belly dancing also. For an extra 50 dirhams ($14 US) I also went out on my own on an ATV.

We were picked up at the hotel in Land Cruisers and we ended up getting "Medel" Andretti as our driver!! He drove at 140+ km/h (90+ mph) for most of the 45 minute drive. At one point there was a car going to slow in the left lane....and he pulled a Beverly and passed in the shoulder. Everyone else winced while I clapped!! Oh yes, it was a good night.

After we got there, the drivers let air out of the tires. Damn I never knew valve stem pullers were meant for anything but revenge! After the shoulder incident, I ended up moved from the 3rd row to the front seat. Flying over sand dunes and sliding down them sideways is better than any roller coaster I have ever been on. As I was screaming, "Oh Sheeeeet", the driver (who claims not to speak English) was laughing hysterically.My video and pictures of the event are minimal though I was the videographer. I, of course, forgot to bring extra batteries for my camera and it died after a couple of minutes of video. I am highjacking Julie's video and posting. One group even wimped out and started going the easy way around the dunes.
BEFORE Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Michele and Mary





Riding a camel is not as easy as it looks. Getting on and riding is easy, getting off is another story. The camel's front knees go down first so you have to lean backward. Apparently I didn't do that well enough and the camel ended up with my boobs in the back of his head. Since I was not at all ready to stop, I paid the extra to go out on an ATV  by myself.
Getting ON the camel

50 dirhams...no problem!


Riding the camel

Getting ready to go down! This is the HARD part.


I don't care that the regular price is 290 dirhams, I am going again when Lauren is here over winter break. Definitely something everyone should do at least once in their life!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Bev! Love it! Maybe we'll do that here some day. Although we'll have to go without our kids!

    ReplyDelete