Saturday, August 13, 2011

First Whole Week and Financial Aid Drama

I have now been here for 8 days. Getting used to not being able to eat in public during the day and not being able to have dinner until 7pm. 78 teachers got their housing assignments here in Abu Dhabi City and about 100 got their housing in Al Ain. I am still homeless. The only disadvantages I have found thus far is the "Bathtub Laundromat" and the "Balcony Dryer". Other than that I am good with living in a hotel: free breakfast, someone makes my bed and cleans my bathroom. I even have my National Bank of Abu Dhabi Debit Visa...I have arrived!!

We are scheduled for orientation Tuesday-Thursday...we think!! Information filters through via "whisper down the lane". What fun!! For the most part, this has been a paid vacation. Many people are sightseeing but I'd rather wait until fall when the weather is cooler. One group went to the beach and discovered that the water was 90 degrees. I think I'll stick with the pool since the hotel set up a secluded area with snacks and water. Another group went on the Desert Safari today. Not doing that in 116 degree heat.

Drama started last night when I got an email informing me that my son's Student Loan was being held up because the tax return I had submitted was not signed. I posted the dilemma to 400 some odd teachers and Voila! it was sent, signed, to Rutgers an hour ago. This was completely and totally without the assistance of the Business Office at the hotel since it was closed and the Concierge had no clue how to use the scanner...and neither did I.

Roller Coaster at Ferrari World

Yes EVERYTHING is in English and Arabic

Yes this is a 1000 dirhams ($367)

Me with Julie and Louisa at Rush

I have arrived-my own National Bank of Abu Dhabi debit card! Yeah Me!

The rooftop pool

These are the only birds I have seen so far


Ferrari World from the rooftop


Ahmad's tour of Marina Mall...haven't even been here 24 hours yet


My going away party at Marci's 8/1/11

Hotel Lobby

Before breakfast and coffee...need I say more?

Me, Julie, Louisa, and Kelly at Rush

Hotel Fountain

Group 2 started landing last night but is at a different hotel. Some type of Meet & Greet has been set up for the first week in September after Group 3 arrives. I am very thankful to be in Group 1. I have not really missed being at home, but I am sure it will hit me when Lauren moves into her Freshman Dorm and I am 7000 miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment