Sunday, February 12, 2012

Taxes

Several months ago, after seeing pictures of my new apartment, a friend of mine went on a rant about the UAE government paying for my apartment by gouging the U.S. public on gas. Whoa!! I do admit that I pay less than half of what I paid for gas in New Jersey, the state with the lowest gas prices, but take a look at the big picture here!!

In New Jersey, I paid $75 for a carton of Marlboro Light 100’s. The same cigarettes cost me $20 a carton here. A used BMW that would cost me $12000 in the U.S. is costing me $6000 here. What do cars, cigarettes, and gas all have in common? THE UNITED STATES TAXES THEM TO FREAKING DEATH!!!!

It’s not that the Gulf countries are charging the U.S. too much…it’s that the U.S. is charging YOU too much.

The same 42” LG Plasma TV that would cost a little less than $600 in the U.S. costs $100 less here. Yes, I finally got a TV. No cable yet….but I can plug my laptop in and watch CBS.com on the large screen! It cost me less than $5000 to furnish a 2 bedroom apartment complete with appliances AND I have 2 king beds and 3 sofas. Where were these things made? The same place they would be if I bought them in the U.S. 

The next time you get pissed off at the pumps; put the blame where it belongs….the U.S. government!!!

1 comment: